If you feel that you have been misrepresented by a REALTOR®, you may submit a complaint to the Board. The Board takes these complaints very seriously and makes every effort to ensure that any complaint is thoroughly investigated and all parties have the chance to be heard.
1. Most problems occur because of miscommunication. Talk with your REALTOR® to clarify your concern.
2. If that doesn’t work, take your concern to the Managing Broker of your REALTOR’s® office. Issues can often be resolved without having to go through a formal complaint process.
3. Talk to the Okanagan Mainline Real Estate’s Professional Standards Coordinator who can help you understand whether or not your compliant falls within OMREB’s jurisdiction or that of the Real Estate Council of BC (industry regulator). If it falls within OMREB’s authority, our Professional Standards Coordinator may be able to help you to work it out to your satisfaction. Call 250-491-4560 and ask for the OMREB Professional Standards Coordinator.
4. If you want to take the matter further, you’ll first need to determine whether it’s a matter for your REALTOR’s® Real Estate Board or for the Real Estate Council of BC, the regulatory body responsible for administering the Real Estate Services act. (See "A Matter for the Board or for Council?" below for details.)
5. Submit your complaint in writing to the appropriate body – outlining the nature of the complaint in as much detail as possible – via the form provided by the Real Estate Board or Real Estate Council. (Links to forms are provided below under "Filing Your Complaint".)
To determine if your complaint should go to the Okanagan Mainline Real Estate Board or to the Real Estate Council of BC, click here for examples of areas investigated by the Board and examples of matters investigated by Council, and how to submit a complaint to either one.
If you have a complaint to make to the Real Estate Board, click here to download, print and complete the Okanagan Mainline Real Estate Board Complaint Form. New typeable version of this form is available here.
If you have a complaint to make to the Real Estate Council, click here to download, print and complete the Real Estate Council of BC Complaint Form.
Please include the required supporting documentation with your submission to the Board or Council.
To find out what happens before and after you file your complaint with the Real Estate Board, click here. We hope this outline of the Board’s procedures for dealing with complaints will answer most of your questions in this regard.